Did you know there are a zillion things that can contribute to us getting sick?
Well, maybe not a zillion, but certainly many … some of which are mentioned in the list above.
Thankfully, our bodies have an incredible in-built system designed to keep us healthy.
It’s called our Innate Immune System.
However, it needs us to make good diet and lifestyle decisions in order to support it.
If not, it’s unable to help you to thrive.
- Your energy will be flat.
- Your mental clarity will be impaired.
- You will struggle to walk up stairs without puffing.
- Your limbs and muscles will become stiff and sore.
- Any “bug” that comes on the scene, will knock you for six … and so on.
Healthy Shift Worker Podcast Episode:
This week I reflect on a talk that I delivered at the Wellness Basecamp here in Brisbane last weekend titled “Are You Getting By On 5-6 Hours Of Sleep – Or Maybe Even Less?” because as shift workers we can definitely relate to running on minimal sleep due to our work hours and irregular roster patterns.
What is probably most concerning however, is that right now, according to the World Health Organisation or WHO, we’re currently living in the grips of a global sleep loss epidemic and with that comes negative consequences on our health. In fact, as stated by the Victorian State Government here in Australia, shift workers get on average 2-3 hours less sleep than other workers which over-time is staggering.
In this episode, I discuss:
- what happens when we’re sleep deprived
- how much sleep do we really need
- along with some actionable steps that you can implement into your own shift working lifestyle that’s going to help to maximize your sleep.
Links mentioned in the podcast:
How To Break Up With Your Phone 30 Day Challenge
Sleep Master Sleep Mask
Podcast: Play in new window | Download