Shift work is undeniably stressful on our mental, physical and emotional well-being, and is often one of the reasons why we reach for the comfort food to help calm our frazzled nervous systems down – particularly during a hectic shift at work.
However when we think of comfort food, one of the first things to come to mind for many of us, is that deliciously decadent ‘I’m-not-allowed-to-have-it’ treat called chocolate.
These stress busting night shift puddings are not only easy to make and super tasty, but unlike most store bought chocolate mousses and puddings, they don’t contain loads of processed and refined sugars, so your waistline will be happy with them too.
What’s great about them?
- They are perfect for night shift as they’re really easy to digest, and can be made the night before.
- Cacao is high in magnesium which helps to support the adrenal glands which bare the brunt of our stress.
- Cacao helps to boost neurotransmitter production, which can enhance our mood.
- Avocados are high in oleic acid, a type of monounsaturated fatty acid which can reduce inflammation. They are also high in fibre which helps to fill the void when you’re feeling ravenous at 3am in the morning!
- 2 medium sized ripe avocados
- 1/3 cup raw cacao powder
- 5 medjool dates, pitted and roughly chopped
- ¼ cup coconut milk or nut milk of choice (almond)
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- A pinch of unrefined sea salt
- Handful of chopped almonds, cashews and Brazil nuts
How to make them!
Soak the dates in the milk for 20 minutes until soft. Add the avocado flesh, dates and milk, vanilla, salt and cacao powder. Blend until smooth. Add more liquid if required.
Pour into jars suitable for transport into work, then sprinkle with a handful of chopped almonds, cashews and Brazil nuts for an added boost of Magnesium and extra crunch!