What’s great about them?
- The beauty of overnight oats, is they can be made the night before so make for a great breakfast option after night shift.
- Cherries contain melatonin, a hormone required to induce sleep.
- Both oats and cherries contain tryptophan, which help the body to produce melatonin.
- Cinnamon helps to improve the efficiency of insulin, which assists in the regulation of blood sugar levels. If our blood sugar drops too low whilst we’re sleeping, it can trigger the adrenal glands to release stress hormones that help raise blood sugar back to a safe level. Whilst this is a good thing for our survival, this same stress response can be enough to wake us up from our peaceful slumber – which is not a good thing when we’re already running on little sleep!
Ingredients (serves 2)
- 1 cup of rolled oats
- 2 tablespoons chia seeds
- 2 cups of almond milk
- ¼ teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon vanilla bean paste
- 1 cup of cherries (frozen is OK if out of season)
- 2 medjool dates
How to make them!
Before heading into night shift, combine oats, chia, almond milk, vanilla bean and cinnamon. Leave it to sit for 15 minutes, and then give it a good stir.
Divide into 2 glass jars and secure with a lid. Refrigerate overnight whilst you’re at work.
Upon arrival home, place cherries and dates (pitted) into a blender, and blend until smooth. Remove oats from the fridge and top with cherry puree.
Please note: I reserve the right to delete comments that are offensive or off-topic.