A healthy shift worker – myth or a reality?
In today’s episode, we discuss this exact topic with Roger Sutherland who has been a police officer for over 35 years, and is part of an emergency services family with a son, daughter and partner who also work 24/7.
Some of the things that we discuss include:
- Roger’s heart-warming story of how he wanted to become a police officer since he was 2-years old.
- Some of the health struggles he faced later in his career including being crippled in pain from Sacroiliitis, and what he did to overcome it.
- How years of poor dietary choices, sedentary behaviour and undervaluing his sleep would have been a contributing factor in the development of his poor health and chronic pain.
- What made the most significant change in his health when he began to prioritise it?
- What is LISS training, and how it has helped him to incorporate exercise and movement into his lifestyle, without adding additional stress to his body – especially when on the night shift.
- How a shift in mindset played a pivotal role in helping him to transition from being an unhealthy shift worker, to one that is now healthy.
Links mentioned on the podcast:
Roger’s Instagram Account – https://www.instagram.com/roger_suth/
Roger’s A Healthy Shift Instagram Account – https://www.instagram.com/a_healthy_shift/
The Oura Ring – https://ouraring.com/
Podcast: Play in new window | Download