These Nourishing Night Shift Jelly Cups are perfect for sensitive tummies that have to be up in the middle of the night, thanks to night shift.
In other words – anyone who has to work night shift, or those crazy early shifts starting at 4am or earlier!
What’s great about them?
- These little jars of goodness contain gelatin which is made from cooking collagen, and is extremely high in protein.
- It is the richest food source of the amino acid glycine, which can help to improve memory and attention – another struggle we face when having to be awake in the middle of the night!
- Gelatin contains glutamic acid, which is converted to glutamine in the body which studies have shown can help to improve the integrity of the gut wall, and help to prevent “leaky gut”.
- “Leaky gut” is something Shift Workers are quite prone too as sleep disruption can alter the delicate balance of the gut microbiome or microbiota, which can lead to intestinal permeability or “leaky gut”. This phenomenon allows food particles to enter the bloodstream, triggering an immune response.
Ingredients (serves 2)
- 250 ml coconut milk
- 2 teaspoons Changing Habits gelatin powder
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla paste
- 1 tablespoon pure maple ? syrup
- Sprinkle of cacao nibs
How to make them!
- Add half the coconut milk and the gelatin in a small saucepan over low heat.
- Whisk until gelatin has dissolved.
- Remove from the heat and add the remaining coconut milk, along with the vanilla paste and maple syrup. Top with a sprinkle of cacao nibs for some added crunch.
- Pour into small glass jars, secure with a lid and leave to set in the refrigerator before taking into work that night.
Recipe inspired and adapted from Lee Holmes Super Charged Food.
Please note: I reserve the right to delete comments that are offensive or off-topic.