Well besides catching up on some long lost sleep (which is extremely difficult to do when you work irregular hours) there is an alternative and it’s called ‘beetroot’.
Sound a bit strange? Well as a nutrition student I’m always fascinated with wholefoods and how they can heal the body. In particular, how they can specifically help shift workers who are continually prone to a depleted immune system, digestive complaints and nervous system dysregulation.
As Hippocrates once said – ‘Let food be thy medicine and medicine be thy food’.
Beetroot has so many wonderful therapeutic benefits including:
- It’s high in vitamin C and iron.
- It’s a great cleanser on the gut, and helps to maintain bowel regularity (excellent for shift workers who are prone to digestive complaints).
- It helps to regulate blood pressure.
- It helps to guard against infections, in particular bowel and stomach infections.
- Studies have shown beetroots can boost endurance and stamina via the efficient use of oxygen (*Murphy et al. 2012) – music to the ears of any energy depleted shift worker!
So if you’re looking for a bit of oomph or get up and go, try including some beetroot into your shift working diet. (more…)